Tuck me in!

Posted on | April 11, 2011 | 14 Comments

If you have a new baby in your family, are looking for a perfect getting-ready-for-bed book, or just have a child who loves role play with their toys I have the ideal book for you today!

In Tuck Me In! by Dean Hacohen and Sherry Scharschmidt it’s time for the animals to go to bed. One by one a whole menagerie needs your help to get ready to sleep – will you tuck in Pig, Zebra and Peacock? Each double page spread features one animal and their colourful blanket ready for you and your kids to lay over them – a lift the flap book of the simplest variety but pitch perfect for small hands just learning to turn pages.

And once all the animals are tucked up tight is there anyone else you can think of who might need tucking in? If our experience is anything to go by, your little one will be keen to join in and get tucked in themselves :-) Getting your kids ready for sleep has never been easier with this beautifully produced, interactive book absolutely perfect for babies and toddlers (but also a surprising hit with my 6 year old who has adored acting it out with her own stuffed animals.)

The cartoon style pictures are cute and cuddly looking, the bold colours are eye catching without being garish. The physical production of the book is excellent – stiffer, shiny pages are easy to hold on to and turn even for little hands (they wipe clean easily too and will put up with quite a lot of rough love, or over enthusiastic tucking in!)

M and J were keen to create their own book along the lines of Tuck Me In! so first they painted pictures of the animals they wanted to include.

Then M made blankets for the animals – using large scraps of material the girls chose we made rectangular pockets, sewing the material right sides together and then turning inside out to create a mini duvet cover (open on one of the narrow sides).

We interleaved our pages of animals with their blankets and then I used the sewing machine to bind all the pages and blankets together (just like I did in this post). To cover the binding, I glued a broad strip of felt over the spine of the book. Then M set to writing the text inside, using the original text of Tuck Me In! as her guide.

Here you can see the felt on the spine – it worked rather well, giving the book and old fashioned sort of feel!

I already know that this is going to be one of those keepsakes I look back on in years to come and feel my heart glow a little!

Music we listened to whilst making our book included:

• Tuck me in by Fran Friedman
  • My Blanket by The Jelly Dots
  • Sleep Tight by Kesang Marstrand (you can listen to this beautiful, gentle song here for free)

• Other fun stuff you could try alongside this fun book include:

• Making this utterly gorgeous bed for the favourite doll or teddy in your kids’ life, from From an Igloo
  • Or this quirky but equally lovely doll’s bed out of a cigar box, from Just Something I Made
  • Take inspiration from RedTedArt and learn to crochet – and then you can make some lovely blankets to tuck all your loved ones in!

• What books are your favourite for newborns? What toys did you own as a child that you liked to tuck in at night?

Comments

14 Responses to “Tuck me in!”

1. Even in Australia
      April 11th, 2011 @ 1:51 am

This looks adorable!

2. Susan Stephenson, the Book Chook
      April 11th, 2011 @ 10:01 am

And well should your heart glow! Mine glowed too, just looking at their happy, absorbed faces.

3. Let me introduce you to Playing by the ook — Book Reviews For Mums
      April 12th, 2011 @ 6:21 am

[...] want to introduce you to Playing By the Book. An absolutely wonderful blog about books and children. Each post feels almost crafted with time, [...]

4. Becky
      April 12th, 2011 @ 6:31 am

I wrote about your posyt for notes form home post of the week. Its wonderful how creative youare with books Zoe. You are giving your kids a true gift

April 12th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Thanks everyone for your comments – sorry it took a while to reply – too busy at the london book fair! I definitely recommend making books with your kids – they are so lovely to look back on even if they take some planning and a bit more time than other projects together.

6. Sandie Mourão
      April 12th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Lovely post Zoe. I’ve looked and relooked and smiled and smiled again. Your two girls are such lucky children.
      I Hope the London Book Fair is fun!
      Sandie

April 12th, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks Sandie! I’m lucky to have my girls :-)

8. Valarie
      April 13th, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Your book making looks like a lot of fun.

9. Kerri
      April 13th, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

Fabulous idea! I am certain it will be a fond memory for your children. I remember sewing with my Mom!

Definitely checking out the book too!

April 13th, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

Hi Valarie and Kerri,

Thanks for your positive comments. The book is so sweet – a real winner for little kids and a lovely book to give as a gift.

11. Christie-Childhood 101
      April 22nd, 2011 @ 11:59 am

I love the sound of this book and I adore that your girls made their own version, what a wonderful way to learn and to be inspired about books.
      Christie-Childhood 101 recently posted..24 Ideas for Family Fun in the Backyard

April 22nd, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Thanks Christie! We certainly enjoyed creating our book.

13. Ella
      May 7th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

I love this post! We regularly makes books in our house but I’ve never thought of sewing them and binding them like that – they look beautiful.

May 7th, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Hi Ella, We love it as a way of binding – feels really solid, and it’s always fun for the kids to get the sewing machine out. If you try it, do come back and let me know how you got on.