Gifts from Book Illustrators – Kate Slater

Posted on | November 6, 2011 | 6 Comments

In the run up to Christmas I thought I’d take a moment each week to highlight gifts you could get your family (or yourself) made by children’s book illustrators and authors. Many illustrators offer their work directly for sale and it’s a great way to support book artists and get yourself something beautiful that will last a lifetime.

Kate Slater‘s first children’s picture book Magpie’s Treasure was published by Andersen Press in November 2010 and her second book, ABC London is now available for pre-order.

Kate has an etsy shop where you can buy her illustrations, stunning brooches, cards and ornaments. Some of my favourite items are these bird brooches:

And this whale print:

You can find Kate’s website here.
You can find Kate’s blog here.
Kate is on Twitter here.
And don’t forget, Kate’s shop is here.

Comments

6 Responses to “Gifts from Book Illustrators – Kate Slater”

1. Stacey
    November 6th, 2011 @ 1:05 am

So pretty… Not sure if you saw my post on the kidlit listserve but I am collecting ideas related to books as gifts for a class I am teaching for parents at the end of the month. I will be sure to include links to your series!

November 6th, 2011 @ 5:31 am

Oh Stacey, now I’m feeling quite stupid! Yes, I did see your question and thought I didn’t have anything in particular to offer. It’s frightening how the brain doesn’t work sometimes! Anyway, every Sunday between now and Christmas I’ll be linking to an illustrator’s shop. I’m sure some US illustrators must sell direct too?

3. Susan Stephenson, the Book Chook
    November 6th, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Love the brooches, Zoe! I have a Christmas gift post scheduled for 21/11, so I’ll link to the last one you do before that.

November 6th, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Thanks Susan! I look forward to seeing your Christmas gift post.

5. Library Mice
    November 6th, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Kate’s work is lovely. I have stopped visiting her etsy shop as she temptation was too great!!!!

November 6th, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

hehehe Library Mice! I’d love to decorate our christmas tree with her birds.