Books good enough to eat (really!)

Posted on | January 16, 2012 | 22 Comments

Last week I read one particularly thoughtful piece about reading deeply and reading for pleasure, written by a headmaster. It’s full of detail and will require you to spend some time with it, but I do urge you to read it. It was a highlight of my week. My thanks to Anne Harding, via whom I discovered item.

Last week I listened to one particularly interesting programme on the theme of reading mindfully. Part of Radio 4’s book of the week, Stop What You’re Doing and Read This, Tim Parks explored the idea of really attending to what we read. It certainly inspired me to be a little more thoughtful about what and how I read.

But, do you know what? Sometimes I don’t want to take time, and savour things. Sometimes I just want to gobble up a book. I want to lick my lips and wolf it down.

Well, here are the books we have literally been munching on the last few days:

We made our mini edible books from white chocolate and fruit leathers.

We melted a chunk of white chocolate just a little by placing it for a few seconds on a hot frying pan.

We then squidged it down on the fruit leather.

We then melted the other side of the chocolate a little.

Finally we folder over the fruit leather and pressed down hard. We trimmed the leather and then used a knife to tidy up the oozing chocolate, just spreading it out a bit.

We used just the tiniest bit of icing to give our books titles.

Once complete I left them in the fridge for an hour or so to harden up. When we came to eat them, they were actually yummy enough to make again!

I wish I could claim this idea as a Playing by the book original, but actually my inspiration came from Hungry Happenings. although she uses a different method to make hers.

We’re now experimenting with marzipan and chocolate books, and other tomes made out of kendal mint cake and chocolate… (if you’ve any further ideas for what to use, do let me know!)

For more edible books (make sure you’re not hungry when you follow the link!) click here: it turns out that there’s quite a worldwide movement of Edible Book Festivals, and even an “official” Edible Book Day – April 1. I quite fancy hosting a virtual Edible Book Festival – would you be up for it?

If eating a whole book would be too much for you then how about a poem, a word or even a just a letter or two? Do take a look at this gorgeous post from Resistance is Fertile. It ends with a home made out of poetry…

Photo: Jemimus

For just a letter or two you can salivate over Typolade – a German company that makes chocolates in the shape of printers’ alphabetic blocks. They’re a little like mini versions of the Dutch chocolate letters you get for Sinterklaas.

So, what do you say? Are you up for joining in a virtual Edible Book Festival? We all make something to eat on a bookish theme and then I’ll have a gallery of your images up here and link to your posts about what/why and how you created your Edible Book?

Comments

22 Responses to “Books good enough to eat (really!)”

1. jojoebi
    January 16th, 2012 @ 8:08 am

sounds like my kind of thing!
    jojoebi recently posted..First MTD of the year…

2. liveotherwise
    January 16th, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Oh yes, I could go for that.
    liveotherwise recently posted..Silent Sunday 15th January 2012

January 16th, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Super Jojoebi and Liveotherwise. I’m working on judges, prizes, “rules” etc and will keep you posted!
    Zoe recently posted..Books good enough to eat (really!)

4. maggy,red ted art
    January 16th, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Sounds like fun! Count me in… I will have to have a serious think though. Your books are BRILLIANT!

Maggy
    maggy,red ted art recently posted..Planting Creative Seeds – Organisation Your Art & Art Space

5. ProofreadingWorks
    January 16th, 2012 @ 9:34 am

May have to give these a go, my sister would love them as much as I do!

January 16th, 2012 @ 10:34 am

Thanks Maggy, would be great to have you involved!
    Zoe recently posted..Books good enough to eat (really!)

7. Christine Mosler
    January 16th, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Oooh, what a lovely idea, we’d love to be involved!
    Christine Mosler recently posted..The Resolution Tree

8. Carrie
    January 16th, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

These look absolutely yummy

9. Stacey
    January 17th, 2012 @ 2:25 am

What a fun idea!! I’m in… And love the fruit leather and white chocolate- may have to try those sooner than later!
    Stacey recently posted..Hope

10. Mindy
    January 17th, 2012 @ 3:35 am

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing. I’m not sure I’ll ever make them myself, but I love the idea. :)
    Mindy recently posted..Monday Morning Music with North Shore Sessions

11. sarah zama
    January 17th, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Last year at Living Paintings we had a staff lunch based on children’s book titles. Paninis included: Little Red Hen (chicken & Red Pesto); Misery Moo (Mozella & Tomato); I love Animals (pepperoni, Bacon, chicken) and many more. Dessert was obviously Gumboot’s Chocolately Day (double chocolate brownie)
    sarah zama recently posted..Indigo2 Rock Saturday 24th March 2012

January 17th, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Thank God I read this post on a full stomach!

Look forward to the Edible Book Fest.

By the way, have you read any of the Rumer Goddens for little children? They are a big hit with the 6-year old here, bet M and J would enjoy them – especially The Fairy Doll and Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, and I can so imagine what you’d do after reading them :)

13. Maeve
    January 17th, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Your post got me thinking too. As a child and teen reader I was definitely a “book gobbler”. I read impatiently because I found it hard to put books down and couldn’t wait to answer the questions raised in the early chapters of a book. Re-reading was a slower experience that gave a different type of pleasure. It allowed me to enjoy the set up and minor details that I had not dwelt on first time around. Nice to read a post on different types of readers.
    p.s. The chocolate books look delish!

14. BookEating_Girl
    January 18th, 2012 @ 12:32 am

It would clearly be a mistake for me NOT to join in here!! the challenge now is to come up with edible book shaped objects! *gets thinking cap on* …

January 18th, 2012 @ 9:23 am

Wow, Sarah, your lunch sounds like lots of fun!

Choxbox – yes Rumer Godden wrote wonderful books. I loved them as a child and M has enjoyed those I’ve read to her too, most especially The Doll’s House

Maeve – interesting to read about your two different approached to reading. Sometime it would be great to be able to do the same with food – to gobble it up, but then have it again to savour slowly!

16. Bella
    January 20th, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

These lilliputian sized books are just adorable, and I look forward to trying them out with my daughter. Very nice blog!

January 20th, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Thanks Bella, do report back if you try this at home!

18. Myra from GatheringBooks
    January 21st, 2012 @ 5:36 am

Books and chocolates – two of my FAVORITE FAVORITE things. Can live on both (ok, let’s add cheese and my trusty mac [plus internet access] and I’m good to go). :)

As I was reading through your post, can’t help but think of Jama Rattigan who also infuses her blogposts with foodfoodfood! I have a feeling she’d enjoy this post of yours.
    Myra from GatheringBooks recently posted..AWB 2012 Database

19. Comment Challenge 2012 – GatheringBooks Dives In – A Running Update «
    January 21st, 2012 @ 5:38 am

[…] Books good enough to eat (really!) by Zoe from Playing by the Book […]

January 21st, 2012 @ 7:55 am

Myra, you’re absolutely right, food and books = Jama! Yes, a world without cheese would be a poorer place…

21. chicken house plans by Mark
    January 22nd, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Mmm… Delicious books! I want to read them! WITH MY TONGUE!

… yeah, right. Still, they look tasty.

22. Meet The Incredible Book Eating Boy, then make edible books | Craft Librarian
    May 20th, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

[…] the creations are amazing (Google it–you won’t be sorry). Meanwhile, let’s make edible books that are equally fun but a lot less complicated, thanks to the good people at […]