Kids’ Classics and Cream Cakes

Posted on | January 18, 2012 | 15 Comments

How do you define a “classic”? Does it have to be an old book? Is it one that remains fresh and meaningful despite the passage of years? We can all point to books we’d call classics, but is there a set of common characteristics? I’ve definitely been mulling these questions over recently (with help from @Luvzi12 and @Chaletfan amongst other), but it’s still easier for me to pick up a book and say “Here, this is a classic.”

And a set of such “classics” that we’ve recently enjoyed is the triumphant trio of books by Tomi Ungerer about a family of pigs, the Mellops, who get up to all sorts of adventures and who have a penchant for cream cakes (exactly the sort of family I try to cultivate around me!).

Recently republished, 50+ years after they originally entertained children, I had not previously heard of them, but they’ve now become established favourites in our home, definitely part of our personal library of books we’ll return to again and again.

You do not need to have read any of them to enjoy the other books – each stands on its own as a delightful slice of life from Mr and Mrs Mellops and their four sons, Casimir, Isidor, Felix and Ferdinand.

In the story set at Christmas, Christmas Eve at the Mellops’, the boys each separately wish to surprise their father and so cut down a Christmas tree in the forest. But four Christmas trees are too many for any family and thus the boys try to find homes for their trees. It seems that no-one needs them, until at last they find a family down on its luck and the boys all pull together to fill that family’s home full of Christmas cheer. The high moral tone of the book is tempered with plenty of humour, so rather than coming across as preachy, it reads as just a jolly nice story about what Christmas really ought to be about – kindness and generosity (and the discovery of a universal truth: “there is no such thing as too many Christmas trees!“)

Another story, The Mellops Strike Oil, beings when one summer picnic the Mellops notice that the stream’s water tastes of oil. Having done their research on where oil is generally found, they return to their picnic spot and set about drilling for liquid gold. They do strike lucky, but a smouldering cigar thrown from a passing car results in fiery disaster and so the family return home, perhaps beaten, but definitely not downhearted. With lovely understatement, “Oil drilling is quite exciting,” Father sighed. “But from now on, let’s leave it to the professionals.” The idea that the journey, the adventure, not the final destination or the end result is what really matters is also a theme in The Mellops Go Diving For Treasure.

This third caper involves searching for treasure in an underwater shipwreck, meeting merpigs and a dangerous octopus along the way. After initial failure to find the gold, they do then discover a full treasure chest. But are the jewels really worth more than friendship and the exciting experiences they’ve shared along the way? Once again, what could be rather worthy moral overtones are soften by light-hearted and warm humour, making the message all the more believable and meaningful.

The stories are each a lot of fun – they pack a punch and make you smile. The illustrations are pared down, with minimal use of colour and sparing use of detail – which makes them seem suprisingly fresh and modern.

Ultimately these stories are about a family with big hearts. They live life to the full, they live hopefully and adventurously, and know how to dust themselves down and appreciate what they do have even when things do not go quite according to plan. It’s definitely a modus operandi I’d like to adopt for my family! Here’s hoping that Phaidon will also re-issue the two remaining Mellops’ stories, The Mellops Go Spelunking and The Mellops go Flying.

One more reason why we aspire to be like the Mellops is that each story ends with the happy Mellops family sitting down to enjoy cream cakes together, and of course this idea appealed to M, J and me. So armed with a can of squirty cream each, plenty of paper cake cases and a tempting array of sprinkles, we set about spending an afternoon creating our own cream cakes.

This was an edible twist on the sensory play with shaving foam idea that I’ve seen all over the web but my kids haven’t enjoyed the times I’ve tried because the scent of the shaving foam has been too strong.

For J’s little hands it was rather hard work pressing the can hard enough for the cream to squirt out, but she found it easy enough to enjoy the sprinkles!

An indulgent, wickedly enjoyable afternoon of playing and making and eating was had by all :-)

Whilst we made our cream cakes and played patisseries we listened to:

• Five Piglets on Parade by Bugs Bower
  • Big Pet Pig by Key Wilde & Mr. Clarke – an old favourite, you can listen and watch here:
  • The theme tune from Dallas – the height of illicit TV viewing when I was a young teenager!

• Other fun activities you could try along side these lovely stories from Tomi Ungerer include:

• Making treasure maps- here’s a tutorial from the BBC (I like the use of coffee as well as tea to give the map an “ancient” appearance).
  • Exploring the science of washing oil off, and the difference soap can make, or exploring the consequences of an oil spill – here’s a science fair project on just this topic.
  • Investigating why cream whips – how come it goes from liquid to apparent solid, and changes volume, and what happens when you overwhip cream. Here’s a great video from the BBC on exactly this!

• What’s the most fun you’ve ever had playing with your food? (By the way, I see a theme developing this week on the blog – Monday saw the edible books, today it’s cream cakes, and on Friday I hope to be back with a post featuring Maltesers…)

Disclosure: I received my copies of these books from the publisher. This review, however, remains my own and honest opinion.

Comments

15 Responses to “Kids’ Classics and Cream Cakes”

1. Stacey
      January 18th, 2012 @ 2:09 am

I think I’m going to have to find these- especially if they lead to dessert!
      Stacey recently posted..Choices

2. Natalja
      January 18th, 2012 @ 5:56 am

Love those! Especially since pigs became our family’s animals. Fun with food? I am a bit of “healthy eating freak,” so our fun looks more like broccoli trees and cherry tomatoes caterpillars, but maybe one day…

January 18th, 2012 @ 7:46 am

Hi Nata, you might like a book I’ve seen coming out featuring landscapes made out of fruit and vegetables – much more wholesome than all this cream! (BTW, we didn’t eat ALL the cream cakes we made :-) )

Stacey – they are definitely available in the US, so I do hope you can find them.
      Zoe recently posted..Kids’ Classics and Cream Cakes

4. Pen and Ink
      January 18th, 2012 @ 8:00 am

Oh, I loved this post and cant wait to read the books. Thank you And I want a cream cake right niw
      Pen and Ink recently posted..Excuses

5. Polly
      January 18th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

New to blogs and blogging but my goodness me what a great job you’re doing/have done here… I like this one- as having two boys who would rather punch each other in the stomachs (that is one of their favourite things to do actually; with mutual consent I should add)- than engage in nourishing craft activities, playing with squirty cream and sprinkles is something I can see might actually go down quite well…
      Polly recently posted..Willoughby wolves

January 18th, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Hi Polly, it is a rather “naughty” / “treat-ish” activity (especially if you decide to spray the cream straight on to your tongue). Of course we didn’t even think about doing that… ;-)

7. Polly
      January 18th, 2012 @ 10:29 am

experimental cream moustaches and beards are not completely unknown here…

and possibly spectacles too.
      Polly recently posted..Bigger than a Blue Whale

8. Jen
      January 18th, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Ooh those are definitely classics here I think.

We recently experimented with whipped cream. Unfortunately hair adornment was not limited to facial hair, and my poor lockless daughter was inundated with some sweet tasting hair replacements.
      Jen recently posted..How a House is Built

9. Donna McKinnon
      January 18th, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

So you have written about pigs! I keep running across the Mellops, but I’ve yet to investigate. You’ve piqued my interest yet again….being a fan of both Tomi Ungerer and pigs.
      Donna
      Donna McKinnon recently posted..Pigs On Ice

January 18th, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

Ha ha Jen! I can just picture it – sounds like tremendous fun :-)

Donna – you must let me know when you track down some Mellops – I’d be really interested in knowing what you thought of them.
      Zoe recently posted..Kids’ Classics and Cream Cakes

11. Even in Australia
      January 18th, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I had not heard of these books either til they were featured on a display at our local bookstore… I guess it’s because they just came back into print. I’ll have to check them out.
      Even in Australia recently posted..Collage Up-Close

12. Camille
      January 19th, 2012 @ 3:58 am

These sound like such a fun series! I love some of the newly republished books – Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Jenny and the Cat Club are two of my favorites. I am going to have to find the Mellops!
      Camille recently posted..Enna Burning

13. Myra from GatheringBooks
      January 21st, 2012 @ 5:32 am

Hi Zoe, I’ve also been fascinated by classic (read: old hehehe) books – but you’re right in noting that how it’s defined varies. I haven’t heard of this author yet (Tom Ungerer) – but I shall definitely look for him in our library.

I discovered quite a few ‘classic’ books fairly recently – there are several that might appeal to you: Frank Muir and Graham Philpot’s fractured fairy tales (I reviewed three of their books here – http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/frank-muir-graham-philpot-special/) – I also enjoyed reading James Thurber’s books, Norman Lindsay and John Goodall!! :)
      Myra from GatheringBooks recently posted..AWB 2012 Database

14. Comment Challenge 2012 – GatheringBooks Dives In – A Running Update «
      January 21st, 2012 @ 5:44 am

[...] Kids’ Classics and Cream Cakes by Zoe from Playing by the Book [...]

January 21st, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Hi Myra, Thanks for the tip about Frank Muir – I knew him as a funny many on the tv, but didn’t make the connection with the Frank muir of the What a Mess books, and certainly didn’t know about his fairytales. But now I’ve reserved 2 at the library – thanks. I’m just enjoying a Norman Lindsay book at the mo – The Magic Pudding. It’s making me laugh out loud (and sing quite a lot!)