International Book Giving Day 2013

Posted on | January 7, 2013 | 27 Comments

Did you know that February 14th is International Book Giving Day – a day dedicated to getting new, used, and borrowed books in the hands of as many children as possible?

international-book-giving-day-400px-wide

Doesn’t that sound wonderful? Would you like to join me in celebrating it?

You could…

• Give a book to a friend or relative.

Is there a child in your life who would enjoy receiving a book on February 14th? Maybe your own kids? Maybe the kids at your local school – you could donate to their library.

• Leave a book in a waiting room.

What about leaving a book or comic at the local GP surgery or children’s ward. Think of somewhere where kids are stuck waiting and parents too would enjoy something diverting and funny.

• Donate a Book.

Maybe now’s the time to go through the books your kids have outgrown and donate them to your local charity shop? What about sending a book to a child who’d love to read it via Pelican Post, Give a Book or Book Aid International?

• Blog/tweet about International Book Giving day.

It would be great if you could spread the word about the day and how you will be celebrating. Let us know that you’re taking part and we’ll add your name to our list of people giving books for International Book Giving Day at http://bookgivingday.com. If you’re on twitter you might want to follow @bookgivingday or use the hashtags #giveabook, #IBGD[location] (e.g. #IBGDLondon), or if you take photos you might check out instagram.com/bookgivingday/ (you can share photos of Book Giving Day festivities by adding the hashtag #giveabook to Instagram photos or by emailing photos to amy.broadmoore@gmail.com).

• Let’s see how many people we can get to commit to giving a book to a child by February 14th!

International Book Giving Day is a grassroots initiative founded by Amy Broadmoore who writes about children’s books at Delightful Children’s Books. Amy is backed by an international planning team: Myra Garces-Bacsal, Gathering Books (Singapore), Tarie Sabido, Asia in the Heart (Philippines), Susan Stephenson, The Book Chook (Australia), Travis Jonker, 100 Scope Notes (US), Mélanie McGilloway, Library Mice (UK). Giselle Federizzi Barcellos, Kids Indoors (Brazil), Rashmie Jaaju, Mommy Labs (India)
    Emma Perry, My Book Corner (Australia), Julie Danielson, Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast (US), se7en (South Africa) and me, Zoe Toft, Playing by the Books (UK).

Comments

27 Responses to “International Book Giving Day 2013”

1. Mary Preston
      January 7th, 2013 @ 1:17 am

I come from a family that gives & shares books. Something to be encouraged.

2. Jill Bennett
      January 7th, 2013 @ 5:50 am

Fantastic!
      That will help make the chill of the month much brighter.
      I’ll definitely be giving books to relations, friends and other deserving causes.

January 7th, 2013 @ 6:56 am

Great to hear, Mary and Jill.

4. bookaholic mum
      January 7th, 2013 @ 7:02 am

I love the idea of giving a book guerrilla-style via a waiting room or somewhere but will be finding as many ways as possible to participate. Fantastic initiative!
      bookaholic mum recently posted..Belated New Year New Intentions: Focus

5. Tasha Goddard
      January 7th, 2013 @ 7:06 am

Sounds great. I’ll see if the school would like to do something and will put a note in my calendar to write/tweet about it.
      Tasha Goddard recently posted..Happy New Year

January 7th, 2013 @ 7:10 am

That sounds great Bookaholic mum and Tasha :) After Feb 14th there will be a blog round up, so if you write a post about what you do you’ll be able to easily share it and inspire others for next year :)

7. Susan Stephenson
      January 7th, 2013 @ 7:44 am

Luckily, in my disguise as a chicken, nobody will notice me sneaking books into waiting rooms!
      Susan Stephenson recently posted..Looking Back to December 2011

January 7th, 2013 @ 7:50 am

I LOVE the image of you dressed in one of those big chicken costumes “sneaking” into waiting rooms Susan!!
      Zoe recently posted..International Book Giving Day 2013

9. ReadItDaddy
      January 7th, 2013 @ 8:56 am

Sounds like something I’d love to be involved in. Very good idea, think I’d rather receive a good book than a valentine’s card (ah who am I kidding!!)
      ReadItDaddy recently posted..The Phoenix Comic goes digital on iPad. Go get one heck of a subscription deal NOW!

10. Amy Broadmoore
      January 7th, 2013 @ 11:59 am

Thank you for kicking this off, Zoe! I am excited to begin inviting people to celebrate!
      Amy Broadmoore recently posted..Best Booklists of 2012

11. gisele
      January 7th, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

I’m so excited to do this!
      I’m living in a city where people are not use to reading. The schools don’t have their libraries open because there aren’t librarians. So sad! There is one bookstore but it’s always empty.
      I hope to shake up the city a little bit spreading books around.
      Gisele
      gisele recently posted..ABRAPRACABRA

12. Alex Baugh
      January 7th, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for this reminder. I had read about International Book Giving Day and have decided to participate in honor of my cousin’s son, a chapter book lover who died at Newtown.
      Alex Baugh recently posted..Saving Zasha by Randi Barrow

13. Nupur
      January 7th, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

My baby’s daycare center is having a book exchange that day! I’m excited- she loves books already at 15 months.

14. Myra from GatheringBooks
      January 7th, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

What a wonderful post, Zoe! So glad that you started the stream of posts about International Book Giving Day! :) Very excited about this. Here’s wishing you a glorious New Year, dearest! :)
      Myra from GatheringBooks recently posted..Jan/Jun 2012 AWB Reviews

15. Whitney @ Pen Pals and Picture Books
      January 8th, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

Oh! this is fantastic!! Thank you for spreading the word about it! Yea for more kids with books in their hands!!
      Whitney @ Pen Pals and Picture Books recently posted..I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow dry your house down?

16. Geek Girl
      January 8th, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I will most definitely be participating in some way.
      Geek Girl recently posted..Help Us Celebrate!

17. Erica @What Do We Do All Day?
      January 8th, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

I loved participating in TBGD last year, and I look forward to it again this year. Thanks for sharing the news and linking up to The Children’s Bookshelf. I’m sharing with the parent blogger community to try and get them involved, too.

18. WendyLady@GoodBooks
      January 9th, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I’d love to join in! I’ll spread the word through my blog and will look forward to donating on the 14th – probably through a local foster care organization. What a lovely idea for Valentine’s Day. I “heart” it. ;)
      WendyLady@GoodBooks recently posted..EPIPHANY ADORATION

19. maggy, red ted art
      January 9th, 2013 @ 8:23 am

I am going to give some books to my son’s Reception class today (well their library!).

Thanks for heads up.

Maggy
      maggy, red ted art recently posted..Chinese New Year Craft: Dragon Puppet & Free Printable

20. Vivian Kirkfield
      January 9th, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

Thank you so very much for the heads-up about this special day! I have been donating books to several organizations for many years…but will share this info and do a special post for the day.

January 9th, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

Thanks to everyone for their positive feedback – it’s so exciting to hear that lots of you want to participate. If you blog about how you participate there will be chance to share what you got up to with a blog round up hosted here in late February.

22. International Book Giving Day is on the Way... - se7en
      January 11th, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

[...] Zoe Toft, Playing by the Books (UK) [...]

23. Charlton Kis-ing
      January 11th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

This is a wonderful project. I myself is running a book drive campaign. I am helping a school who doesnt have a library.

Hope you dont mind, I would like to ask everyone’s help to make this dream come true. Helping the indegenous people have a library of their own.

Any help would do my email address is wsa.charlton@gmail.com
      Charlton Kis-ing recently posted..Red Velvet Cupcake Fund Raising Was A Success

January 12th, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Hi Charlton, we’ll certainly help spread the word about your campaign!

25. Celebrate International Book Giving Day This February 14th! | Delightful Children's Books
      January 14th, 2013 @ 11:42 am

[...] Toft, Playing by the Books [...]

26. Help Us Celebrate International Book Giving Day! - Jump Into A Book
      February 13th, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

[...] Playing By The Book [...]

27. International World Book Giving Day Blog Hop - And A Progress Report... - se7en
      February 21st, 2013 @ 5:22 am