Hooray indeed for bread!

Posted on | February 27, 2013 | 14 Comments

If I had to choose a last meal, I’ve always thought it would be a thick slice of still slightly warm, crusty white bread spread with soft, unsalted butter. Perhaps it’s because I have such happy memories as a child walking home on a Saturday morning, being given the torn-off crust, the “heel” of the Bloomer we’d bought at the bakers.

hoorayforbreadSo when I first saw about Hooray for Bread, the latest book from Allan Ahlberg and Bruce Ingman, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Ahlberg, with his books such as Burglar Bill, Each Peach Pear Plum, The Ha Ha Bonk Book and Peepo!, is as bundled up with quintessential childhood memories as illicit white crusts for me, whilst Ingman has top form for food and humour (think The Runaway Dinner, Ronny Rock Starring in Monster Cake Meltdown, for starters).

Hooray for Bread is indeed a hymn of praise for that daily staple. Told in rhyme, slice by slice, we follow a loaf from its baking first thing in the morning, via sandwiches for lunch, to feeding the ducks in the afternoon. As each slice is gobbled up with appreciation there is a chorus of delight – “Hooray… for bread!”, whether from the dogs being sneakily fed by the young boy with his leftovers, or the mouse who discovers a crumb under the table at the end of the day.

Ingman’s illustrations ooze warmth and simplicity – a perfect match for this tale about the uncomplicated pleasures of life. Ingman’s eyebrows are something I particularly love (well, those which he draws…. I’ve not inspected his personal eyebrows although I’m sure they are very lovely too!); with the slightest flick of his pen his bread slices and sandwich fillings become quirky, cheeky, cheerful characters. Look out for the birds with hats on and the mischievous looking teddy bear, which suggest yet more tales away from the page.

When Bruce Ingman agreed to become this year’s Patron of the International Edible Book Festival I was more than delighted. And given this, we simply had to try creating our own edible books to go with Hooray for Bread. We came up with two “tomes”:

hoorayforbreadloaf

The first was a loaf baked in a book-shaped tin, using bread sticks to spell out the title. We had this for supper, tearing off chunks to dip into a stew. Yum Yum is all I can say about that.

hoorayforbreadloaf2

Next up we tried something using flat bread – a basic dough mixture, but after it had risen once we mixed in herbs/spices/dried fruit and nuts, and then rolled it flat with a rolling pin, before using cookie cutters.

bread1

The bread letters made a perfect centrepiece for lunch!

bread2

bread3

bread4

As to bread recipes, if you’ve never made bread before, why not start with a packed of bread mix from the supermarket? These are so simple, and often just need water or milk adding. Mixing and kneading the dough are great activities to involve the kids with – for them it’s much like playing with playdough! Offer them some seeds or dry herbs to mix into the dough and you’ve instantly got a sensory activity where the process is as much fun as the end result.

Whilst we kneaded our dough we listened to (and kept dancing to):

• Bread and Butter by The Newbeats. The video is grainy, the hairstyles are quite something, and the falsetto is crazy, but it’s still a lot of fun to bop around the kitchen to!
  • Corn Bread by Johnny & The Hurricanes
  • Ginger Bread by Frankie Avalon
  • Peanut Butter and Bread by Lana Rae
  • Banana Bread by The Bad Goods – a chilled out reggae recipe!
  • Mayonnaise & Pumpernickel Bread by Gunnar Madsen

• Other activities which would go well alongside reading Hooray for Bread include:

• Feeding the ducks! Yes, as simple as that!
  • Feeding the birds in your garden! As well as throwing up the crumbs for them, you could try some of these bird food activities in The Crafty Crow’s excellent round up.
  • Making some toy bread for your dollshouse. This very detailed tutorial involves a pasta maker and razor blade, so not for kids on their own probably, but it might give you some good ideas. If you prefer a picture tutorial (rather than a video one), then try this one.
  • and, dare I suggest it, joining in our International Edible Book Festival!

• What’s your favourite sort of bread? Do you have a favourite bread recipe to make with the kids?

Disclosure: I received a free review copy of Hooray for Bread from the publisher. I was under no obligation to review it and I received no payment for this review.

Comments

14 Responses to “Hooray indeed for bread!”

1. Stacey
      February 27th, 2013 @ 1:56 am

Yum! The book looks great but I must say, the bread looks even better!
      Stacey recently posted..Saved by The Penderwicks

2. Rhythm
      February 27th, 2013 @ 4:47 am

Boy am I ever drooling! I think I need to check out this book! Thanks for all the yummy ideas!
      Rhythm recently posted..Learning My ABCs

3. Library Mice
      February 27th, 2013 @ 6:16 am

I still eat the end of the baguette as soon as I have bought it … Sometimes even before I’ve paid for it!
      Library Mice recently posted..MY LIFE IN BOOKS: Maudie Smith

February 27th, 2013 @ 6:23 am

Thanks Stacey and Rhythm, and hooray for Library Mice! J’s favourite part of a baguette is always the end.

5. Sallie
      February 27th, 2013 @ 7:09 am

Lovely. My first Saturday job, at fifteen, was in a bakery, and yesterday I was telling my 9-year-old how I’d smell the freshly baked bread walking up the High Street. He was a master baker and everything was made on premises. At the end of the morning he’d give bread and cakes to us Saturday girls. We’re going to do some baking at the weekend.

February 27th, 2013 @ 7:13 am

Hi Sallie, if I could I’d deliver a copy of this lovely book to every bakery – I think they could use it to make such great window displays. And then invite families in to read and eat and have lots of fun! There’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread! Glad to hear you’ll be baking this weekend :-)

7. Polly
      February 27th, 2013 @ 8:10 am

I love the household robot acting as nanny in the corner.
      Can’t wait to see this book; Ahlberg! Ingman! BREAD!!
      Polly recently posted..Lulu and the Treasure Hunt

8. ReadItDaddy
      February 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Love Bruce and Allan but REALLY love what you did to celebrate their new book. That post has made me so hungry and has put me in a bread-baking mood for the weekend.

Awesome stuff as ever, Zoe (and the kids!)
      ReadItDaddy recently posted..I Got A Crocodile by Nicola Killen (Simon and Schuster Children’s Books)

9. Catherine
      February 27th, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Great idea to use bread sticks on the top of the loaf :) I try and make bread when I have the time, my daughter loves to knead. I look forward to reading the book.
      Catherine recently posted..The Complete Book of Farmyard Tales by Heather Amery

10. Barbara Mojica
      February 27th, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

This books looks adorable. It would be great for my grandkids who are all under three. They would identify with the illustrations and those yummy cooking activities! As for me, my favorite part of the bread is the “colito” which is the end piece that my husband always saves for me.

11. Katherine
      February 27th, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

Ooh brilliant, been wondering what this book was like. Another to add to the list!
      Katherine recently posted..Happy birthday Jon!

12. jama
      February 28th, 2013 @ 2:14 am

Mmmmm, anxious to taste this freshly baked book! Love those bready letters you all made. Nice post :).
      jama recently posted..Indie Artist Spotlight: Stéphanie Kilgast of PetitPlat

13. Natasha Dennis
      February 28th, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Bet you had to take those photos quick before the bread was all gone. You have me drooling.

14. gisele barcellos